How about 5 Things That You Don't Know About Me?
I, the notoriously tag-impaired Nichelle have been tagged not once, but twice. The first tag came from Afrobella and I posted links from my other (sorely neglected) blog Anovelista.com as my "answer" on her blog. Then the Makeup Girl decided to tag me too, so the pressure is on!
Normally, I wouldn't subject you to this, but A.) some of the future posts that I am working on are kinda kicking my butt right now and B.) see A.
So, let's see. I don't have any beauty or style related secrets because I spill it all right here (and will continue to do so!)
What can I say that I haven't said before?:
1. I was named after Nichelle Nichols of Star Trek fame. Oh wait, I have mentioned that.
2. I live in Newark, NJ which has been in the news lately largely because of our newly elected mayor Cory Booker. Booker is an Ivy-League educated Rhodes Scholar that was castigated the first time he ran in a race so notorious, it was the basis for the Oscar-nominated documentary Street Fight. Among the dirty tactics shown in the documentary: Booker's campaign signs being torn down by his rival - something that I personally witnessed (and that was just the tip of the iceberg.)
3. I have no intention of putting a picture of myself on either of my blogs until I get them professionally done. I already have one horrendous pic floating through cyberspace and I say No mas! Yes, that's me in the picture on top. It's an old shot, but I still look the same (even without the professional makeup job, lighting and photography!) It was taken for an article I wrote about learning how to swim for Heart & Soul magazine back in the day (see #5.)
4. I am writing a book on my aunt, Margaret Tynes, a pioneering opera diva that sang with Harry Belafonte and Duke Ellington. You may have noticed her in my Virtu section in several photos taken by the legendary Harlem Renaissance habitué Carl Van Vechten.
5. I can't swim. Couldn't catch the rhythm of the stroke if you paid me.
And I don't want to mess up my hair!