45. New York University - To make a long story short, I'm (finally!) back in school this fall after
an extended leave that was due to my uh, financial challenges. That's why my 55 Favorites took
yet another unexpected hiatus. I've been talking
begging, pleading, wrestling and negotiating with NYU for the last few days - but I'm back! Forty-four credits to go... and then it's all over but the shouting.
46. Voluspa Handmade Candles - So, after I left NYU with my fall schedule firmly in hand, I walked up the street to Anthropologie and got a little on the spot aromatherapy. It is rare when I think every single candle by one brand smells absolutely amazing - but I just couldn't believe the heavenly scent of these candles. Burmese Rosewood, Baltic Amber, Santiago Huckleberry, Champaca Bloom & Fern, French Cade & Lavender - you just can't go wrong. Another shopper in the store even told me that they last for long time. If I hadn't just given NYU my last dime, I would have at least picked up one. Next time...
47. Vera Wang's 'Refined Ruffles' Long Gown - This nightgown is so delicate and pretty. I could
see myself in something like this - until it gets cold of course.
48. Mahogany Dinnerware by Crate & Barrel (top) Every time I look in my cabinets, I think about this set. They looked darker and richer in the store and have that 'sort of expensive' look that I like at a reasonable price. Gorgeous.
49. Brown Sugar by Donald Bogle (top) This is an updated re-issue of his groundbreaking 1980 book which chronicled the lives and careers of black American superstars like Josephine Baker, Dorothy Dandridge and Lena Horne. This updated edition includes our current superstars like Halle Berry, Whitney Houston and Beyonce Knowles - the beneficiaries of the breakthroughs and sacrifices of the pioneers.
50. Anthropologie Nestling Measuring Cups - I've never seen measuring cups quite like these in bright, fun colors with the measurements inscribed on each cup. I spotted them during my post-NYU bliss and I think they are so cute!
51. Prada 'Tendre' Eau de Parfum Spray (top) I am not one who likes Prada just because it's Prada, but after being drawn in by the atomizer, I really liked this. Pretty, yet strong.
52. Annie Leibovitz: A Photographer's Life, 1990-2005 - The Brooklyn Museum will present an exhibition of more than 200 photographs from the legendary photographer's career from October 20th through January 21, 2007. Several years ago, I had the pleasure of spending a snowy afternoon in Leibovitz's studio in Manhattan as she shot an ad campaign featuring a group of legendary Olympians including Edwin Moses and Katarina Witt. I also spent some quality time with Dan Jansen (the speedskater) at the buffet table, so it was quite memorable.
53. DuWop Shades of Venom Lipstick in Larkspur - Beautiful rosy shimmer with the trademark, tingly Lip Venom
taste? Sign me up!
54. Fresh Rice Dry Oil (top) I have actually been in love with this for a while (because it smells amazing), but it is truly a favorite for fall (and winter) for me because I love using it after a bath and sinking into my bed with my sheets and blankets smelling like it. Hey, look... I've got to get my aromatherapy wherever I can get it!
55. The Essential Luther Vandross - Oh my... don't you miss Luther? At first, I was considering a collection that was called the "Ultimate" Luther Vandross, but I decided to go for this one instead. An "ultimate" Luther collection without So Amazing, If Only For One Night, or If This World Were Mine? Yeah, right! Somebody's got a lot of nerve...